The University of Wisconsin fellowship training program in Clinical Neurophysiology seeks neurology residents who have completed an accredited neurology residency in the US and who are dedicated to the care of people with diseases of the nervous system, have demonstrated interest in clinical and basic neuroscience, and show promise of future achievement. For over 50 years the Department has been dedicated to training highly motivated physicians in an atmosphere that emphasizes teamwork, close interaction with attending physicians and resident colleagues, independence and development of sophisticated skills in clinical neurophysiology examination utilizing EEG, EMG, Evoked Potentials to aid in the evaluation and care of patients with neurological disorders in general and Neuromuscular disorders and Epilepsy in particular.

The fellowship program provides two positions per year.


The fellow can choose the focus of their fellowship as one of the following:

  • 80% EEG & Epilepsy with 20% option in (selecting one):
    • EMG & Neuromuscular
    • IOM (Interoperative Monitoring)
    • Sleep
  • 80% EMG & Neuromuscular with 20% option in (selecting one):
    • EEG & Epilepsy
    • IOM
    • Sleep
  • 50% EEG & Epilepsy and 50% EMG & Neuromuscular


Trajectory Descriptions

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

EEG & Epilepsy Focus

The EEG/Epilepsy track prepares fellows to master all aspect of EEG including reading and interpretation of adult, pediatric and neonatal EEGs of both outpatients and inpatients, evaluation and interpretation of EEGs in the inpatient epilepsy monitoring unit, and managing patients in the epilepsy monitoring unit. In addition fellows will be learning the approach to pre-surgical evaluation of patients with epilepsy, reading and interpreting continuous EEG monitoring studies of patients in various ICUs (pediatric and adult) and management of patients in the epilepsy clinic at the University Hospital and the VA Hospital. For those in the EEG/Epilepsy track, 80% of their time will be spent in these activities and remaining 20% of time can be spent in EMG or in Sleep Medicine. Those that chose EMG will spend 2 months out of the year in either EMG lad doing EMGs and neuromuscular clinic or in Wisconsin Sleep Center spending time seeing patients with sleep disorders and learning to read and interpret sleep studies. Fellows will always be under the supervision of Attending Physicians.

Fellows in EEG/Epilepsy focus track will have an opportunity to do an additional fellowship year with the second year focused on developing an independent research project with protected time. Research time will be spent with an experienced mentor. Fellows seeking second year of fellowship will be encouraged to seek funding through American Epilepsy Society or the American Academy of Neurology. For fellows who cannot secure external funding, clinical instructor pathway will be made available as well.

EMG & Neuromuscular Focus

The focus of training for those in the EMG/Neuromuscular track is to master standard nerve conduction studies and EMG, but also to evaluate patients in the neuromuscular clinic and learn approaches to patients with muscle and nerve disorders. Additional training will be provided in performance and interpretation of single-fibre electromyography, evoked potentials and central EMG (including Botox® injection). The remainder of the 20% of the time can be spent in the EEG lab and Epilepsy clinic with exposure to outpatient and inpatient adult and pediatric EEGs, reading and interpreting continuous EEG monitoring in the ICU and/or reading and interpreting inpatient Video-EEG monitoring studies.  Other options are Interoperative Monitoring and Sleep Medicine. All fellow activities will be supervised by Epilepsy/Neuromuscular faculty.

Split EEG/Epilepsy and EMG/Neuromuscular Focus

For those in 50/50 EEG/EMG track, their time will be equally divided between the EEG & Epilepsy focus and EMG & Neuromuscular focus as described above.

All fellows will have additional training in reading outpatient Evoked potentials. Elective time will be provided for those who wish to learn intra-operative EEG/evoked potential monitoring or pursue research.

Neurology Footer Image
Do you have any feedback?
Thank you for submitting your feedback!