The educational program exists for the benefit of the residents and includes both mandatory and non-mandatory educational opportunities. Mandatory conferences are designated on the conference schedule in MedHub and in the weekly reminder emails (sent out every Friday).
In general, attendance is required at all conferences that start before 9:00 am (Wednesday/ Friday) or at noon with the following exceptions:
- Residents on night float or on vacation are exempt from all educational conferences.
- Residents on day float are excused from AM conferences (neuroradiology and Morning Report)
- Residents on epi are excused from noon lecture to attend the epi case conference
- Residents on neuromuscular are excused from noon lecture and resident meetings on Tuesdays to attend service conferences
- Residents rotating off-service (e.g., Psychiatry, Neurosurgery) are expected to attend conferences with the relevant service and are released from mandatory attendance at neurology conferences.
Residents are also expected to participate in the academic life of the larger neurology department by attending Grand Rounds, which take place at 4 pm on Monday afternoons from September to June.
To protect residents’ conference time during the noon hour, pagers may be dropped off with the program coordinators. Coordinators will answer pages during that hour, asking the caller if the matter is urgent. If urgent, the coordinator will immediately inform the resident. If not urgent, the caller will be informed that the resident is in conference and will address the matter afterwards. The stroke faculty respond to stroke codes during this hour.
- Resident attendance will be recorded by scanning a designated personal QR code into the IPad in the MFCB 7114 conference room. If the QR device is not working or is malfunctioning, please notify Sara Nagel and email Sara Nagel/Pam Adams to confirm attendance.
- For lectures that do not take place in the MFCB 7114 conference room other than Grand Rounds, the resident is to email the coordinator to manually record their attendance.
- For Grand Rounds, a sign-in sheet will be provided at the time of the lecture
Residents must attend at least 70% of the required lectures (not including lectures for which they are exempt due to call/rotation assignments).
Failure to maintain the expected percent attendance (as averaged over the preceding 3 months) will result in automatic freezing of the resident’s education fund. It is each resident’s responsibility to confirm availability of funds for reimbursement before making purchases.
Up-to-date conference schedules can be found here. The list below shows the general schedule, and is followed by details about each conference.
|AM||1st||Resident Morning Report|
|4th||Neuroradiology (7:30 am, Juhl Conference Room)|
Grand Rounds (4 pm, in MFCB 1220)
|EEG/EMG basics||Pediatric Lecture Series|
|Resident Wellness Committee|
|5th||Resident Wellness Committee|
AM lectures, unless otherwise specified, start at 8:00 am in the Neurology Conference Room (MFCB 7114). PM lectures, unless otherwise specified, start at 12:00 pm in the Neurology Conference Room (MFCB 7114).
Latest revision: 10-25-2023, Natalie Wheeler, MD, JD